Dirty PuppyKing of the Street
Areas of expertise
- Loyalty Knows No Bounds
- The Original BFF
- Make Exceptional Coworkers
- Provide Endless Entertainment
- Keep Humans Active and Healthy
- MBA, 2nd year at Indianapolis Zoo University
- BS, University of Brevard Zoo
- PHD, Not yet, working on it
The dog or domestic dog, (Canis familiaris or Canis lupus familiaris) is a domesticated descendant of the wolf which is characterized by an upturning tail. The dog derived from an ancient, extinct wolf, and the modern grey wolf is the dog’s nearest living relative. The dog was the first species to be domesticated, by hunter–gatherers over 15,000 years ago, before the development of agriculture. Due to their long association with humans, dogs have expanded to a large number of domestic individuals and gained the ability to thrive on a starch-rich diet that would be inadequate for other canids. Over the millennia, dogs became uniquely adapted to human behavior, and the human-canine bond has been a topic of frequent study. The dog has been selectively bred over millennia for various behaviors, sensory capabilities, and physical attributes. Dog breeds vary widely in shape, size, and color. They perform many roles for humans, such as hunting, herding, pulling loads, protection, assisting police and the military, companionship, therapy, and aiding disabled people. This influence on human society has given them the sobriquet of “man’s best friend.”
The dog or domestic dog, is a domesticated descendant of the wolf which is characterized by an upturning tail. The dog derived from an ancient, extinct wolf, and the modern grey wolf is the dog’s nearest living relative. Their average Lifespan varies between 10 – 13 years, Their Height varies between 15 – 110 cm (At Shoulder), their daily sleep time varies between 12 – 14 hours (Adult) and last but not the least the Speed of German Shepherd can be 48 km/h and for Greyhound is around 72 km/h.
Fascinating Dog Facts:
1. Their sense of smell is at least 40x better than Humans
2. Some have such good noses they can sniff out medical problems
3. Dogs can sniff at the same time as breathing
4. Some dogs are incredible swimmers
5. Some are fast and could even beat a cheetah!
6. Dogs don’t sweat like humans do.
7. A dog could be left or right-pawed
8. Along with their noses, their hearing is super sensitive
9. Dogs have 18 muscles controlling their ears
10. Dogs are about as intelligent as a two-year-old