Smelly PiggyKing of Mud
Areas of expertise
- Smarter than dogs
- Can’t sweat
- Very clean animals
- Excellent sense of direction
- Dream and like to sleep nose-to-nose
- MBA, Oakland Zoo University
- BS, Technical University of Fort Worth Zoo
- PHD, Nope…Sorry…
A pig is any of the animals in the genus Sus, within the even-toed ungulate family Suidae. Pigs include domestic pigs (Sus domesticus) and their ancestor, the common Eurasian wild boar (Sus scrofa), along with other species. Pigs, like all suids, are native to the Eurasian and African continents, ranging from Europe to the Pacific islands. Suids other than the pig are the babirusa of Indonesia, the pygmy hog of South Asia, the warthog of Africa, and other pig genera from Africa. The suids are a sister clade to peccaries. Juvenile pigs are known as piglets. Pigs are highly social and intelligent animals. With around 1 billion of this species alive at any time, the domestic pig is among the most populous large mammals in the world. Pigs are omnivores and can consume a wide range of food. Pigs are biologically similar to humans and are thus frequently used for human medical research.
The domestic pig’s head-plus-body length ranges from 0.9 to 1.8 m (2 ft 11 in to 5 ft 11 in), and adult pigs typically weigh between 50 and 350 kg (110 and 770 lb), with well-fed individuals often exceeding this weight range. The size and weight of hogs largely depends on their breed.
Fascinating Pig Facts:
1. Pigs are very clean animals. They keep their toilets far from their living or feeding area.
2. Pigs can’t sweat, they have no sweat glands.
3. Pigs are one of the smartest animals on the planet.
4. Mother pigs sing to their babies.
5. Pigs use their grunts to communicate with each other.
6. Pigs have an excellent sense of direction.
7. A pig’s sense of smell is about 2000 times more sensitive than human’s.
8. Pigs have very long memories and can remember things even years later!
9. Pigs suffer immensely on factory farms.
10. Pigs are very social animals.